Monday August 14th, 2006|
Finished Mounting Empennage
Today I finished mounting the empennage (minus some bolts I'm missing on the bottom of the v-stab rear spar). Anyway...I hope I'll never have to remove this stuff again, but who knows. This is the whole chicken and egg problem that I'm having with the project right now. I'm not sure when to 'permanantly' put stuff on. Besides, if I paint the airplane myself I would most likely want this stuff off anyway.
Looking down between the last two bulkheads you can see the AEX tiedown. You can see two bolts inserted in the bottom two holes and two empty holes near the top. These holes go all the way through the v-stab rear spar.
Here you can see the vertical stab mounting plate that attaches the v-stab front spar to the h-stab front spar.
The above-mentioned plate is what sets the offset in the vertical stab. I have a real hangup about symmetry, and when I first started flying and learned about offset vertical stabs it annoyed the crap out of me. It makes perfect sense and is really a necessity, but it bothers me none-the-less. The tooling hole in the bulkhead there is on the center line and the dot is 1/4 to the left of the centerline. I tried my best to align the vertical stab skin with that dot. I think I got as close as possible. Anyway...this stuff is done. I think I'm going to mount my ELT antenna and run my servo wires next.