Sunday May 28th, 2006|
Drilled Switch Holes; Installed Fuse Blocks
Finally some progress! Yesterday I rented a DA-20 and flew over to Rome to see my grandmother (she wasn't there) and then down to Cedartown to attend a family reunion. I bugged out of the reunion a little early and on the way back I flew over the house the reunion was being held at and everyone was still out there so I made a couple of turns over the crows and wagged my wings at them. Lots of fun. I wish I would have had my camera out and I would have taken a picture.
Anyway, today I finally commited on my switch layout. It looks like I'm going to go with 8 switches across the top. I put them there because I felt like putting them to the left of the rib would get them too close to the glareshield. I'm fine with where they are, but if it bugs me enough I'll just drill four more to the left of the rib and plug the holes or come up with some excuse. I still need to figure out how to drill the mag key switch hold. It's about 9/10 of an inch. My fly cutter will not cut that small a hole and I don't know if you can buy one. I do have a somewhat not-so-clever plan for anti-rotation on that thing. You'll see when I get there. The only other switch hold that I may drill will be for the flaps. I can't decide if I'm going to put it beside the elevator trim (could be misleading since it would imply that it would change the little LED beside it) or I may put it down on the engine control bracket just to the left of the throttle. Seems to me like that would make sense.
I have been struggling with what to do with the sub-panel penetration for the radios. I'm just not comfortable leaving the radio trays scuffing against that piece of .032 all day long so I made up some angles and riveted them around the hole. This gives the radio trays a slight 'compression' fit that sort of grips the trays as they slide through. These angles will require some fine tuning with my hand seamer since the trays don't pass through perfectly perpindicular...I believe it's actually 8 degrees off (by design).
Here's looking from the front.
Next I decided to install my fuse blocks and my e-bus diode. The 6 circuit block on the right is the battery bus that stays hot all the time. This is handy for things like keep-alive circuits. If I were installing a car stereo in my panel (I'm not, but many people do) I would wire it to here if I wanted to use the stereo to keep time. Anyway. the one on the right on the subpanel is the e-buss and the one on the left is the master bus (comes on with the master switch, of course).