Friday May 5th, 2006|
Canopy Fairing Filling; Drilled Holes For DRE-244E
Today is Cinco de Mayo and Jaime and I met her parents for dinner at a local Mexican restaurant. When I finally got home I decided to go out and work a little more on the fairing. I drilled some holes across the glass, countersunk it and put some pop-rivets in there. This is presumably to help the canopy fairing from peeling up. Then I mixed up some micro + epoxy and squeegied it on. It went on pretty well, but I feel like I may have mixed it a little dry. That's ok though...this got everything pretty smooth and just about where I want it. Yeah, it sort of looks rough, but I think it's coming along quite nicely.
Next I continued to work on the instrument panel a little bit. I'm using the DRE244E intercom which is supposed to be THE best intercom (not audio panel) on the market. I've actually never used one, but I really like some of the features of this thing. One thing that is odd is the mounting. You basically drill a bunch of holes according to a template. The holes across the top allow LED's to shine through teh front cover, while the two bottom holes allow the knob handles to pass through. The knob posts actually hold the intercom into place.
One small problem here. The template says to drill the two knob holes to .30. Well...you really can't buy a .30 bit anywhere around here. I'm not sure you can buy one at all. Anyway....19/64 is 0.2968 which is pretty darn close. I'm probably just going to buy a 19/64 bit and use that...then slightly ream the holes with my brass-handled deburring tool. This may actually be the preferred method, since it will allow me more fudge factor to compensate for any error in transferring the template to the panel (which I did with WAX paper, BTW).
Oh yeah...yet another thing...I while buying the 19/64 bit I also need to purchase what has to be the world's smallest allan wrench to remove the knobs from the intercom so I can install it. I have no idea who will have one of those things.