Sunday April 30th, 2006|
More Layups on the Canopy Fairing
Today I continued my little foray into fiberglass. I laid up a few more layers of glass. I think I'm pretty much done with this stuff. I've got about 6 layers all the way across and I'm using BID cloth so that should be quite enough for this application. Many people that I've talked to say this fairing isn't structural. Well, I believe it is and I'm treating it as such. Anyway, this thing is going to be a complete and total bear to sand and fill with resin + micro.
And here's what I did on the edge. Yep...hard to tell from this blurry photo what's what, but basically I laid up glass to the edge of the canopy skin and filled a little gap at the top with epoxy + micro. This will all get sanded down, of course.
Oh yeah, the resin really tends to run. I kept most of it from doing so but it did run down a little and started gluing the canopy shut...so I propped it open. Why do the layups with the canopy on the fuselage? Well, I probably *can* remove it now...but for the first layups I wanted the canopy to be on the fuselage because there was a little 'wiggle' still left in the canopy and I suspected that the fairing would tighten up the last little bit of wiggle. As I suspected, the fairing did tighten everything up and if this was done off the fuselage I would have managed to put a little twist in the canopy meaning that it wouldn't close very well. As it is now, it closes pretty well. I probably will move the canopy over to the saw horses to finish this thing up.
Here you can sort of get the ide of the shape of the fairing. Yes, please don't give me a hard time here...this is my first real attempt at glassing anything. The neat thing about glass is...it's hard to screw up as long as you have sandpaper and more glass around. ;-)
I have to let the layups sit up for about two days before sanding so I decided to continue working on the instrument panel. I had actually measured the radio stack cutout a little narrow last time so I spent a while wideing it with my needle file, which removes a very little bit of aluminum at a time allowing me to get very precise straight lines.