Thursday March 9th, 2006|
Puckered Up and Made the Big Cut
Today I finally got up the nerve to make the big cut in the canopy. You really hear so many bad things about this but it really wasn't that big of a deal. I honestly believe that drilling the canopy creates more of a risk for breaking it than cutting it does. I followed the plans basically on this cut and taped it up as I went along. Ron Brown, a local RV-9A builder came over to the house to help out and see what he has to look forward to. The plans say you really need two people here but I don't see why. It is nice to have two people to lift the canopy into place on the fuse, but cutting can definately be done alone. Thanks for the help, Ron!
Here you can see how my cut intersects the centerline on the rollbar almost perfectly. The cut looks a little wavy in this picture, but it's not. The waviness you see in the photo is due to the plastic covering on the plexi.
Here's the aft part of the canopy on the temporary table made of sawhorses. Per the instructions, I screwed two 2x4's into place on the table to keep the canopy from spreading. This will work well to hold the aft part of the canopy until I'm ready for it.
Here's a close-up of the edge of the plexi. Block sanding this stuff works really, really well. I sanded with 60, then 150 grit. I think if you go finer than 200 the finish will be darn near perfect. I'm not going to do that yet because I know that I'll probably need to make some fine adjustments to this thing. Next step on the canopy frame is final trimming all the plexi. This is going to be tedious, but I think I can probably get it done Saturday. We'll see.