Wednesday February 22nd, 2006|
Finally Drilled Canopy Frame Hinges
Today I finally got the canopy hinges drilled. This involved drilling first the splice plates and several other parts of the frame that I did on the first one. I didn't see a need to document every drilling procedure on the second one. Anyway, I'm a lot more happy with the fit of this second canopy frame. It came together nicely.
You can see a small gap in the picture above. The gap looks bigger in the picture than it actually is. It's really only about 1/64 or so but that's not going to be enough. The problem is that whent the canopy opens it catches on the aft skin. This problem could probably have been avoided by making sure that the canopy frame was drilled a little higher. Hmm...I suppose I could probably remedy that with a long spacer under the center area of the canpy frame ribs. We'll see.
Anyway...here's proof that the canopy has the pins in it (note that I'm not installing the canoopy release mechanism...I'll be using bolts instead).