Tuesday December 6th, 2005|
Countersinking/Deburring Cabin Frame
Today I finally started disassembly of the cabin frame channels for prep and priming. These are the channels. Lots of holes here to be deburred. I ended up making a doubler for a section of the strip where the holes were enlarged by me intentionally. It was at the lower left side of the roll bar and the two channels were separating a little and causing some asthetic problems. So, I put at doubler back there and redrilled (read: enlarged) the original strip's holes so that everything was good to go. Yeah, the doubler's probably a little overkill but this roll bar is holding my (and my wife's) head off the ground if the airplane goes over so I think it's well worth the effort to get it right. I didn't get any pictures of the doubler but I'll be sure to do that when I'm riveting.
Here is a channel that I started deburring. Yes, these channels are beasts and as I've mentioned previously you can't flute them. You just sort of allow the strips (now that they're drilled) to force the channels into shape. Note how the strip twists as it makes it's way back to the wall. That's the natural tendancy when a metal channel like this...generally the sharper the curve the more need for fluting.