Tuesday November 29th, 2005|
Drilled Cabin Frame Lower Strip
I worked late yet again today (things are looking up...I may finish up that project tomorrow). I did manage to work a couple of hours on the tip-up cabin frame. The frame channels are really thick (.060) and you can't flute them because it gets strips riveted to the inside of the channels, so the plans have you 'clamp' the channels down to your workbench. That's a little easier said than done. I couldn't come up with a way to clamp them so I ended up drilling an extra hole on the web of each channel, then I match-drilled those and all the pre-existing holes into this particle-board I have. Clecos hold everything in place. I think this worked out well.
Now, what to do with the two extra holes I drilled? I'm probably going to mount my transponder antenna on the back side of this thing, so I may put a nutplate in there so I can later install an adel-clamp as a stand-off for the antenna. If I decide not to go with the nutplate idea, I'll just through an AN426AD3-3.5 in there. It'll never even be seen because this is the back side and a little scotch-brite wheel action before painting the frame will all but make the rivet disappear.
Oh yeah, before clecoing it down I finished drilling pilot holes for all the fasteners on the aft channels...still gotta do the first but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
After I solved the clamping issue, I started fitting the attach strips. Here's the lower strip clamped into place on the flanges.
Skip to about 30 or so minutes later and here you go...the lower strip drilled and clecoed to the channels. Pretty cool.