Sunday November 13th, 2005|
Mounted Left Flap, Sticks; Rigging Ailerons
This morning we did the normal church thing, then had lunch and I came home and started working on the flap. I started by cutting out the left flap pushrod hole. Both flaps work great. Using the Smart Tool I was able to determine that the flaps aren't perfect at the same angle, but I'm going to wait until I finish rigging the ailerons, then I'll match the flaps to the ailerons.
Next I installed the stick assemblies. This took quite a while. I sort of wish I would have done this before the wings went on, but the plans made no mention of doing it. It was really no big deal, but it did require me climbing up on the wing walk.
Next I tried to figure out how to set the ailerons in trail. There's a large template you can cut out of wood that wraps around the entire wing, but I'm not sure if I want to do it that way. Others have used the tooling holes on the end of the wing. Apparantly those holes are along the chord of the wing and if you line them up with the tooling holes in the aileron end rib the aileron will be in trail. It would probably be a little easier if the plans would just give you the angle fo the skin on top of the aileron...then it would be easy to use the Smart Tool to get it right.
Basically all I have left to do to this thing is to finish the tweaking of the ailerons. It seems to me like the stick-to-stick pushrod is a little long, but I remeasured it and it's exactly to plans. Weird.
Anyway, it was sort of fun tonight moving the sticks around and watching the ailerons doing their thing.