Sunday July 24th, 2005|
Constructed Brake Pedals
Didn't get any pictures...but just for reference, today I finished up drilling the right reinforcement angle for the tank attach bracket. Then I went on to making the brake pedals. The parts for the pedals can be seen above. Everything comes already made and pre-punched except four angles that hold the pedals on...they have to get made.
Here you see the angles after I match-drilled them to the pre-punched holes in the pedals.
Then I deburred and cleaned the pedals, then primed the contact surfaces with rattle-can primer and riveted the pedals together with my pneumatic squeezer.
The brake pedals sit in the rudder bars like so...
You can see here that brakes are going on the left side, but not on the right. I'm not going with the dual setup. I would guess that it saves 5 pounds or so, counting the pedals, master cylinders, brake lines and extra hardware and fluid. Five pounds on an ~1100 pound airplane is a lot.
The rudder bars get this block to provide additional support toward the middle.
Next I suspended and leveled the rudder bars between my workbench and rolling thinkamahoo.
Then I clamped this angle along the bottom of the rudder bar to keep the bars straight.
And I drilled the cylinders to the rudder pedals. I ended up clamping a bar across the top of the brake pedals to get them even, then marked an arc across the pedal by swinging the cylinder...then pulled the pedals off and marked a centerline across the cylinder attach plate and got a point...then drilled. Everything came out pretty good.
I have this really big hangup about symmetry (just ask my wife) and the design of these rudder bars are very, very simple, but non-the-less it annoys me a bit the way these things are designed. Oh well...my eyes will be on the panel anyway.
I'm still undecided if I'm going to mount these in the fuselage right now. I'll decide tomorrow.