Saturday July 2nd, 2005|
Rolled Forward Skins; Step Holes; Drilled Longerons
Huge day today in terms of progress on the project. I went to the EAA 690 pancake breakfast this morning then got home by ten and started plugging away. I only stopped to eat dinner and go pick my truck up from the shop from a brake change (I can't really do it in the garage....it's sort of full. :-)
First thing I did today was to finish cutting the step tube holes in the forward side skins. Then I scalloped the corner baggage ribs for the step tubes and rolled the forward side skins. Some people really obsess over getting the curve just right...but my experience has taught me to not overwork these sort of things since the material will work-harden and eventually crack. So, I bent both skins following the method spelled out in the plans and everything came out great.
In the above picture you can see the passenger side step slid into place.
And here's the view from the inside. The step tube will eventually attach into a nylon block that will be attached to the rib. The tube is a little long and will need to get cut down a bit. The triangle-shaped rib is the baggage corner ribs. The flanges of that part had to get little arcs cut into them for the step tubes to pass through.
Here's a view looking aft of both steps in place. Pretty cool I think.
Here's a closeup of the roll. The forward bottom skin doesn't lay flat on the side skin because the side skin holes aren't dimpled and the others are. Oh well...you get the point.
...and here you can see that the step tube is too long...preventing the step from sliding all the way in.
Next I started drilling the longerons to side skins. There are a million holes here...they have pretty tight spacing...probably a little over an inch or so. This took hours...
...and so did this side...
Boy...this is a lot of clecos. I of course didn't need to have one in every hole...but that's how I did it.....for whatever that's worth.
Next I followed the plans and drilled from the 705 all the way forward. It's a bit weird that they have you do this without having the firewall in place...but they do.
Then I did the right side. I also had to trim down the longerons a bit. The plans have you provide 3/4 inch distance between the forward edge of the skin on the longeron. Both of mine where exactly 1/4 of an inch too long.
And here's the entire row of clecos. This is just waaaaay too much fun. A good, productive day on the project for sure.