Friday March 25th, 2005|
Fabricated Aileron Pushrods
This morning I set a goal to get both pushrods done. Here's the two bellcrank-to-stick pushrods with the threaded rod-ends in there.
Here's what I used for a 'drilling jig'. You can buy tube drilling jig that does the same thing...but what the heck....I just used a couple of pieces of old 2x4 scrap that were left over from building my wing cradle.
And here are two of the ends after being drilled. The made the green lines you see so that I would know how much edge-distance I had internally.
Next I primed and riveted the pushrods. I didn't take any in-process pictures because you kind of have to do everything at the same time. Here are the two short aileron-to-bellcrank pushrods. I actually wasn't very happy with how these came out...and I may order some more tubing and rod-ends and make my own.
First of all the powder-coating on the pushroads was poorly done...and secondly...the plans have you put two AN470AD4-12 rivets in there. When I squeezed the rivets, they tended to buckle, etc and fold over. I may drill some of them out and re-do them...or I may just make some more and have a friend weld the ends on for me...which seems like what you should realliy do here anyway.
..and here are the long stick-to-bellcrank pushrods. I'm rather happy with how these came out...not like they're that hard to do or anything...but I am less than pleased with the other pushrods.