Saturday January 29th, 2005|
Gas Heater; Aileron Brackets; Riveted Left Aileron Gap Seal & Flap Brace
What's this? Ice and freezing rain in Georgia. This kept me out of the garage all morning because my little electric space heater was having a hard time. It was 35 degrees this morning in the garage. This is the grill of my Tundra.
...and another picture...check out the ice on the road!!! Both of these pictures were taken through the glass in the garage doors.
So Toby and I went outside to see what was going on...
Yesterday, MIke gave me this gas heater. It's going to go in the garage on the side of the wall. One of the furnaces in the house is in the little room with the compressor that's just on the other side of a wall to my garage. There is already a setup there that looks like it was meant to be for this heater...so I'm going to run it as soon as the ice melts (hopefully tomorrow). I need to get to the hardware store to buy some pipe for this project. Can't wait to get this thing going. It's going to make it sooo much nicer in the garage. Mike said that it took it about 20 minutes to heat up his garage at his old house. His Super-8 project is going together in his basement in his new house, so he has no need for this thing anymore.
When I finally did make it out to the garage, I riveted some more on the aileron brackets. It seems like sometimes in these projects there are certain things that just seem to go wrong without any real explanation. For some reason, these brackets are giving me a fit getting them on. I decided to do the 'recommended' thing and put the shop heads on the thicker material (the 'L'-brackets) so this meant that I had to drive the rivet from underneath. If I would have just put the manufacturered heads on the z-brackets, I would have easily been able to squeeze these.
Anyway, given my crappy method of drilling out rivets, some of them got enlarged to the point that I feel more comfortable putting AN470AD5 rivets in there. Unfortunately, I don't have any rivets of this size, so yesterday I ordered some and also ordered a new rivet set for the 5 rivets from Cleaveland. This stuff should arrive sometime early next week and I'll put the 5 rivets in whenever I get the stuff.
After getting as many rivets as possible in the brackets, I installed the aileron gap seal and the flap brace on the left wing. The aileron gap seal was very easy as I was able to squeeze almost all of the rivets, but the flap brace had to get riveted because I don't have a yoke that can reach over the brace.
And here you see the flap brace riveted between the forks. You have to trim up the brace (note my crappy, wavy trimming job) so that the brace will fit up between the doubler forks on the rear spar.
And here's a view from the other direction. I put the manufacturered heads on this side because the spar is a little thicker than the brace.
Here's the outboard aileron bracket on the left wing and the aileron gap seal is visable in the top-left of the photo.
And another view of the gap seal. Note how it attaches to the top skin. The flap brace attaches to the bottom skin the same way, except the flap piano hinge gets wedged between the thick .032 inboard skin and the brace.
Well, that's all I can do tonight because it's already getting late. Tomorrow I plan on dimpling the bottom skins, which I can't do tonight without waking up the entire street.
When I closed up shop, it was already 60 degrees in the garage (the outside temp above is actually my compressor champer ambient temperature).