Saturday December 18th, 2004|
Dimpled Left Main Ribs, Spars; Installed Pitot Tube Mount
Today I devoted an entire day to the project. This is the first time I did this in a while. I started out by dimpling the top of the right wing. Hey, it needs to be done and it seemed like the obvious thing to do right now since the skins were already off.
The spar was a little harder to dimple because of clearance issues, etc.
Then I clecoed on the top skins to check that the skins sit flush. My concern was mainly the spar...but it fit with no problem.
Then I started working on the pitot installation. I started out by fabricating and installing this bracket and drilling it to the rib. I'm installing my surplused Cessna pitot just on the other side of the rib from the outboard-most inspection panel.
Next I put the mounting plate on the bracket and behind the spar flange and drilled it out.
Then I clecoed on the bottom skin, removed the top skin and match-drilled the mounting bracket to the skin. I then removed the skin, clecoed the backing plate to it and cut out the hole in the skin.
And here's a shot from the inside.
And here's a shot of the pitot 'installed' on the wing. Looks pretty good, I think.
And here's another shot. I may find it necessary to shim the pitot mount to align the pitot so that it's precisely parallel to the chord line...but I don't need to really worry about that until the wing gets closed up.
The cool thing about this mount is that I can always buy a new pitot from Gretz or whoever if I get tired of this one.
I'm thinking about maybe shortening the mount, too. But I can always do that after I'm flying...since that's really a trivial thing to do. This stuff will get primed with the next batch of things.