Saturday October 16th, 2004|
Lotsa Lotsa Tank Prep
Today was a pretty busy day on the project. I started out by working on the fuel caps. These are the cap flanges. They're actually kind of weird 'cause they have a slight bend in them to match the contour of the skins, so matching them up to the skin is sort of difficult.
I clamped them in place...
Here's the view from the inside of the tank.
Then I drilled out the holes, inserting clecos as I went.
And the view from the inside..
And with the cap in place...
Then I repeated the process for the other tank. That's the interesting thing about the wings. You have to do EVERYTHING at least twice (duh..there are two wings). Sometimes it's a little tedious...but I know it's well worth it!
Then I countersunk the flanges for the dimples that will be in the skin. I'm using the Cleaveland tank dies that I borrowed from another builder here in our area, so I countersunk every-so-slightly more than usual insce the tank dies create a slightly deeper dimple.
Then I fabricated these clamps for the fuel vent lines. These little things were a little more frustrating for me than usual...cause they're made out of .25 and it gets a little tough making the tight bends.
Then I started working on the fuel drain flanges. These things come complete...you just have to drill them to the skins.
The skin has the big center hole pre-punched..but the small -3 rivet holes are not in the skin...so they have to get drilled....no big deal here whatsoever.
Then I spent a couple of hours removing the protective vinyl on the tank skins.
Then I got nerdy and took this piece of scap wood and made a holder for my drilling stuff. Oh well...I think this is much better than storing the bits and stuff in a container...we'll see.