Saturday September 11th, 2004|
Riveted Right Wing Main Ribs; Jigged Right Wing
Ok, so every builder out there knows this feeling. You're sitting there at work, church, wherever and you start thinking about a little part of the project that you *may* have screwed up.
Last night at our EAA Chapter 690 meeting I was talking to some other builders and they mentioned the tolerances of the rear spar fuselage attach plates and how they were about to cut them down since they were about to mount their wings. I explained that apparantly now the plans have you cut the plates down before they're ever riveted. Well, I started thinking about it and how I may have ground them down a little too far. The plans aren't very helpful here, since they say something like "trim down the such and such parts according to drawing 36. Well, drawing 36 comes with the fuse kit and has a nice full-scale drawing of how the plate should look after being trimmed. I don't have my fuse kit yet so I don't have the full-size drawing...
So, I looked at the preview plans drawing and used the pre-punched holes as a guide.
Then I proceeded to wake up some old brain cells that have been dormant since college and calculated the scale of the drawing and tested my math against the holes in the plates. I then checked my cuts and everything looked good.
Oh yeah, you're probably thinking, "aren't the dimensions of the plates on the drawings?"
Hmm..no. They're not. The only numbers on the drawing are the measurements of the cuts to be made relative to points on the plate that you remove. If I had an original plate I could have easily tested it, but unfortunately I did not.
If I had it to do over, I would just take a scap piece of sheet aluminum and transfer the shape of the plates to it and create a template of how it should look after being cut down. Then you could make sure you get it perfectly.
After putting the voices in my head to sleep by checking my previous work, I convinced my wife to come and and help me rivet the main ribs to the front and rear spars. The riveting thing really clicked with her today. She shot while I bucked and she only goofed on one...and that one wasn't her fault...it was because the skeleton slipped on the table.
Oh yeah, on both wings I had to get Jaime to help me rivet the bottom-most rivets on the rear spars since I couldn't reach them with the pneumatic squeezer. I could have squeezed them all if I had a long reach (deep throated) yoke on the squeezer.
And here's another random shot. Very, very fun.
Uhh...one more shot. You can probably see here that I still need to remove the sag in both wings, line everything up, etc. with shims, but that will come tomorrow hopefully.
Since Home Depot is closed (I need to get some hardware for straightening these things) I decided to clean/rearrage the garage. You can see the way I did this. Basically I moved my two workbenches into an 'L' configuration so that my wife can get her car in the garage and I'll still have room to work.
...and I can still get my wife's car in the garage so I'm still in good graces! :-) Only time will tell how long I can keep the project stored on one side.