Tuesday September 7th, 2004|
Redrove Some Left Spar-to-Rib Rivets; Mulling Primer Job
Today I went out and inspected my riveting job on the left wing. Some of the rivets were underdriven so I redrove them. Then I started clecoing together the right wing. As soon as I touched one of the right main ribs I noticed something -- the texture of the priming job was very different. It was very, very rough while the left wing ribs were very smooth. Check out the picture above. This is the left wing hanging in the jig. You can see the light shining off the smooth surface of the rib.
Now, on this rib you can see that there is an obvious difference in the texture of the primer. In fact, the rib is not completely covered. Now, I know that I used seemingly the same technique on both the left and right ribs, I'm just not sure what happened.
I've basically narrowed it down to three possibilities:
1) I mixed the primer incorrectly
2) I changed the settings on my spray gun
3) I got water in the air line
I'm thinking that #2 is probably the culprit. You know, I honestly think that the priming job is probably sufficient to provide decent corrosion protection, but I have this slight hangup about symmetry (just ask my wife). I think it would always bother me knowing that the left wing had a 'better' priming job than the right, so this is going to get fixed Thursday.