Friday August 27th, 2004|
Wing Rib Prep (Part 4); Clecoed/Drilled Main Ribs to Spars
Today I started out by finishing deburring the ribs. I went ahead and did all of them, including the leading edge ribs and tank ribs.
Then I clecoed the left wing together. Yes! This felt so good to see something come together, if only temporarily. I then started drilling the main ribs to the spars but...
I couldn't figure out why the holes in the ribs weren't lining up. Well, reading the instructions answered it rather quickly after I had spent about 30 minutes staring at the plans then staring at the ribs, etc.
Basically the instructions say to go ahead and drill through the flange and leave the pre-punched hole there as-is.
These two front ribs have the same issue as above so the plans have you go ahead and drill the holes out.
The obligatory shot down the lightening holes.
To drill out the holes for the two front ribs mentioned above I used this extra long #30 bit with the drill stop. I think this is the first time I've actually had to use this bit.
After I finished drilling everything out, I disassembled the left wing and assembled the right wing. Tomorrow morning I need to drill the right wing and then drill out holes for the wing conduit. After that, it's priming the parts then riveting. Whooho!
These two ribs look like they're not lined up, but it's an optical effect caused by the curvature of the camera lense.