Saturday August 21st, 2004|
Primed (2x) Rear Spar; Started Prepping Ribs
Today I started working on the project by priming the parts for the rear spar assembly. As you've probably read before, I used SW P60G2 (same thing Van's uses on Quickbuilds), but I hate the stuff. It's really nasty to deal with and if you put it on a little too thick, it starts peeling off, which is what happened to me today.
Here are the reinforcement forks primed.
And the reinforcement plates with the aileron pushrod cutouts.
Ok, after dealing with that crap for a while, I decided to go ahead and try something a little different. I ran over to the local paint store and picked up some new primer. I'm not going to mention it for fear of getting flamed by readers, but let's just say that I think this stuff is really cool. It comes out of a rattle can, dries quickly and seems to do very well. It's designed for industrial and marine applications, so corrosion protection with this stuff should be great.
Here are some of the parts primed and clecoed together.
And the center doubler plate...
Hmm..and the other one...
And here's the reinforcement fork riveted to the spar.
And another shot of the fork riveted on -- this primer is cool!
Yeah yeah yeah...so I got carried away with the camera. Here's a shot of the two spars with all the reinforcement/doublers riveted on with the appropriate holes left open.
After finishing up the rear spars i started working on prepping the ribs. Here are my weapons of choice for this adventure: Scotch-Brite pad, fluting pliers, scribe, ruler, file, hand seamers and pneumatic angle die grinder with scotch-brite wheel in it.
Holy cow there are a lot of ribs in these wings! Here are all of 'em ready to get prepped. There are four more in the top-right of the photo that I had already prepared when I took this photo.