Saturday June 26th, 2004|
Built C-Frame Thing; Waiting For Wings
First of all, I have not abandoned my project. I've received a couple of e-mails from folks asking if I'd given up and one guy even asking if he could buy my tools. I'm more psyched than ever about this project. I just wish I wouldn't have waited to order the wings. I'll not make that mistake again!!!
Today I built this C-frame table. Well, it's not really a table, it's more like a table top that I'll just sit on top of the workbenches. I built my empennage without this thing (many people do) but I decided that dimpling skins was one of my least favorite tasks so far...hopefully this will make it a little more tolerable.
The C-frame I purchased from Cleaveland Tools came with plans to build something simular but I didn't like it. The thing I disliked about their plans was that there was an open bottom so the C-frame tool sits on the table underneath the carpeted top. The male die one the bottom of the C-frame tool would therefore be set by adjustable lets on the four corners of the table. I think it would work well, I just wanted something that I could set and never have to adjust again.
I decided to make the sides with 1x4s and the top and bottom are 3/8 inch ply. See below for how I adjusted the height of the male die.
I started with this 3/8 inch piece of ply.
Jaime came out and caught me screwing in a scrap piece of 2x4 that I had laying around. This piece will keep the C-frame from sliding forward and backward.
Here's a nice close-up. You can see here that the C-frame sits in here nice and tight. It doesn't budge at all.
Then I slapped the top on...
Now with the C-frame in...
Now with the 'lid' on...
I attached the carpet with Elmer's spray glue and stapled it around the sides for good measure. I then shimmed up the whole c-frame with a piece of 1/4 inch ply. It works quite well. I grabbed a scrap piece of sheet aluminum I had and tried it out...very, very easy. This should make dimpling the thousands upon thousands of remaining holes much easier. Wish I would have taken the time the build this thing for the empennage....would have saved me lots of touble.
My wings are set to ship the week of the 19th of July so I'll try to make it a couple more weeks. I didn't realize I would enjoy building so much...but the empennage was really fun. Can't wait to get going again...